Choose Language arrow_drop_down
Alt text here

Warwickshire v Middlesex: Day 1 Updates

over 8 years ago | Uncategorised


Middlesex's hopes of hanging on to Yorkshire's tails in the race for the LV=County Championship title were dealt a major blow by a first-day washout at Edgbaston.

While the reigning champions were taking total command of their match against Somerset at Headingley, their nearest challengers had to kick their heels all day in the Edgbaston pavilion.

If Yorkshire take 18 points more than Middlesex in this round of matches they will have the title secured even before the two teams meet at Lord's next week.

Despite the loss of the entire first day, the visitors will still fancy their chances, given better weather, of making quick progress against a faltering Warwickshire team which has lost their last two championship matches heavily and is without Ian Bell, resting at the behest of the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Middlesex are unchanged from the team which beat Durham at Chester-le-Street two weeks ago as they prepare to seek their first championship win at Edgbaston for 14 years. They have lost three and drawn five of their matches there since 2001 when Angus Fraser, now managing director of cricket, captained them to a 129-run victory.



Rain washed out any play before tea on the opening day of the LV=County Championship match between Warwickshire and Middlesex at Edgbaston. After the morning's play was erased by a wet outfield, Middlesex won the toss and chose to bat but before their openers could reach the crease this afternoon heavy rain returned.

An early tea was taken at 2.55pm just before which more torrential rain fell to leave standing water on the outfield and make any play today highly unlikely.



Middlesex's quest for vital LV= County Championship points hit an immediate delay at Edgbaston as a wet out outfield prevented play in the first session of their match with Warwickshire.

The rain which had fallen on Birmingham for much of the last two days had at last stopped when play was due to start at 10.30am, but had left the outfield in a saturated state.

An early lunch was taken at noon with an inspection to be taken during the interval. With the sun out and the groundstaff busily employed on the field with blowers and blotters, the chances of some play today appear good.

Share this post